Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reverb 10: Day 7

December 7: Community - Where have you discovered community online or otherwise?

"In sociology, the concept of community has led to significant debate, and sociologists are yet to reach agreement on a definition of the term. There were ninety-four discrete definitions of the term by the mid-1950s.[1] Traditionally a "community" has been defined as a group of interacting people living in a common location. The word is often used to refer to a group that is organized around common values and is attributed with social cohesion within a shared geographical location, generally in social units larger than a household. The word can also refer to the national community or global community........... a broad term for fellowship or organized society.[2Since the advent of the Internet, the concept of community no longer has geographical limitations, as people can now virtually gather in an online community and share common interests regardless of physical location." from Wikipedia

Community. I live in a small rural community. It is one where people step up to the plate in times of distress or trouble. I cannot even begin to explain  how this community stepped up and supported me with encouragement throughout 2010. It's unbelievable. I was fortunate to witness their collective support this past week when my boss became ill and spent time in the hospital.

Two separate experiences completely - yet unconditional support from our community.

Community. I have attended The Book Club for 11 years. We have been through so much together. My situation throughout my divorce was very uncomfortable for some of them but I never felt unloved or unappreciated. The laughter and discussions we have shared is precious and irreplaceable.

Community. Facebook, a social network, provided me with an outlet during times I felt isolated. I have been able to reconnect with old friends and as I've said many times, "Facebook saved my life."  You and I both know that facebook didn't actually save my life but the relationships with the people I have connected with on facebook - saved my life.

Community. In 2010 I have had the wonderful opportunity to meet, get to know and fall in love with Randy. He is not in himself a community but he introduced me to Cross Road Fellowship Church. http://www.crfbc.org/
I had not attended a specific church since my church closed in 2009. When I started attending Cross Road with Randy, I felt at home. I attended a Sunday School Class and that is where I have felt most comfortable. As is often the case, a smaller group makes one feel at home. I have enjoyed this community. They have a theme that caught my attention and still is interesting to me - Life at Cross Road. LIFE: Living Intentionally For Eternity. Liked it when I first heard it - still like it.

My future in Community? My 2011 holds so many opportunities that I can't even begin to imagine what type of community God will bring my way. And if I've learned one thing in 2010 - I've learned not to limit God by stating what I think He will accomplish in my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment