Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reverb 10: day 5

December 5: Let go. What or whom did you let go of this year?

I'm sure all of you think I will be talking about marriage or something like that!! However, I'm not! :)

I'm going to talk about my youngest child! My baby! I really haven't thought about Jonathan as a baby for years. And in some ways I let go of him in 2005 when he left for college. But the final "letting go" came this fall. After graduation, he became a true independent adult, got a job and moved into his own place. This was the true letting go for me.

Jonathan was my "surprise" baby. You can ask his brother and sisters - he really was a very good baby. I used to joke and say "God knew He had pushed me as far as I could go and He gave me a perfect baby." That was no exaggeration. He really was good. He was good from birth and continues to be a great man. - There were a couple of times in high school I lost sleep over this child... Well, only once, but he stood up like a man and did what he needed to do to make things right. I was very proud of him. I am very proud of him.

So, this fall, I let go. I no longer pay his car insurance. That's really the only financial responsibility I had concerning Jonathan during college. Everything else, tuition, food, board, spending money, everything else, he took responsibility for. Now he's an adult. Standing on his own. I'm proud of him. I'm excited for him - he has his whole life ahead of him, a promising future.

I'm also a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment