Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reverb 10: Day 26



December 26 Prompt: Soul food. What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth and touched your soul?

I like to eat. - And I like many different things but food doesn't "touch my soul"!

I did eat at Ghengis Grill in Wichita for the first time this year and as far as great places to eat - it's one of my favorites.

I also have some comfort foods. I was raised on a wheat farm so naturally "farm meals" have become some of my comfort foods. - Fried chicken, Mashed potatoes and gravy. I don't fix fried chicken anymore but it is still one of the best meals!  Can't have wheat harvest without roast beef cooked with vegetables - and of course - brown gravy! Growing up my Mom always fixed roast with potatoes, onion, and carrots. As an adult I also add fresh mushrooms and fresh green beans.   Also as an adult I've learned to fix pork chops just like a roast but also add chunks of cabbage with the vegetables. - Unless I'm fixing the pork chops with Mushroom Soup gravy and white rice!

Biscuits and chipped beef gravy makes a great comfort food!! Do you see a theme here?  I like any food that will get the gravy to my mouth!! I am and always have been a gravy fan!!

The kids always liked home made mac and cheese. Jonathan and Jack like salmon patties with their mac and cheese!

In Jamaica, my favorite meal was jerk chicken with rice and peas! or just the rice and peas alone. Probably my all time favorite meal.

While living alone I've been eating a lot of Special K with berries and oatmeal! It's easy and I like it!

So, for a food that touches my soul, not one I can think of. 
But Good Food! 
Not hard for me to find that!


No comments:

Post a Comment