Saturday, October 19, 2013

“Food” For Thought


The weather yesterday turned my mind to soup! It was cold and damp – which is conducive to some warm tasty soup. So my grocery list for next week includes ingredients for some filling soups.

In looking through my recipes I found a couple of recipes to share with you. Nothing is more filling and more comforting than stew. I have several stew recipes and they are all different, I’m going to share two of my oldest most faithful recipes today.

In the ‘80’s I lived here in Wichita and we worked at a wonderful church, Glen Park Christian Church. One of my best friends from that church shared a recipe with me and it became one of my families favorite’s. It also became the meal I often take to homes when there is an illness or a death. Then main reason is because it is so good, but it also freezes well.

Forester Stew from Beth Ruark

(you can fix this quickly on top of the stove or put the ingredients in the crock pot for a few hours.)

Combine:
1 lb browned lean ground beef
1 can tomatoes – I use diced
1 can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans
1 – 20 oz frozen vegetables
1 tsp oregano (I’m usually a little more liberal with this because it really adds to this recipe)
salt and pepper

See how easy it is? One reason it is so popular with me! Plus the flavor!!

When preparing it for us I often add an onion but I never add onion when taking it for a meal to others.


The other recipe is another stew with a different flavor. I got this recipe from a dear friend when we worked at a church in the panhandle of Oklahoma. One time I prepared this in a large roaster and fixed enough to feed 30 at a church meeting.  They loved it!

5 Hour Stew from Becky Becker

Layer in heavy casserole:

1 1/2 lb cubed stew meat
6 carrots, sliced or shredded ( I prefer shredded)
3 potatoes cubed
1 small onion

Cover with:

1 1/2 cups V8 Juice
1/3 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt (I don’t cook with much salt, so I add very little then make sure I put the salt shaker on the table.)
3 tablespoons Minute Tapioca
4 Tablespoons sugar ( I usually only add about 1 – 2 – I think it’s too sweet with 4)

Don't stir!

cover tightly, cook in oven at 250 for 5 hours without opening.

Both recipes are fairly easy and once you put them on to cook just forget about them until it’s time to serve.

I hope you enjoy these!

What is your favorite soup recipe? We love to try new ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment