Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Back in the Day…..


The husband says this a lot. – “Back in the day.”


Last week one of my sweet grands called to say she had to write a paper about “past times.” Well, apparently, the husband and I lived in “past times.”

So I thought I would take her cue and talk a bit about what I did for fun “back in the day.”

This post is for Josie.

One of my favorite past times – until I was really too big to be doing this – was playing with paper dolls.

One time my Grandma Velma gave me a book with Lennon Sister’s Paper Dolls!


Lennon Sisters Paper Dolls


This was a rare treat. She knew my love of paper dolls and I treasured these.
I very seldom had manufactured paper dolls. My friend and I always cut our dolls out of the Sears and Roebuck Catalog.

Sears Roebuck Catalog

Since we got these catalogs at least 2 times a year, we had families with 30+ members. These extended families included grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters, moms and dads.  If we were REALLY lucky, our people would be complete. But often they didn't have their legs – (to make room on the pages for more merchandise Sears and Roebuck would print the models without their legs!)  But we didn't care – we used them anyway!

One of the great advantages of using the catalog for our paper dolls is that we also got furniture!

So, we would divide a double bed lengthwise, she would get one side, I would get the other and we would build our rooms to make our houses! It’s interesting to me now that I could remember the names of all of these paper dolls! Now I get my kid's and grandkid's names confused!!

We would play for hours in this creative world of paper.


The Good Ole Days.



No comments:

Post a Comment