Friday, January 11, 2013

The Quiet of the Country Life in Caring for My Parents

First published November, 2012



It hasn't really been all that long since I've lived out here in the country.  But here it is, now 2:18 am and I can't return to sleep...

 from the noises.

Those of you who think the country is "quiet" - hmmm, well, let me just say - it's not! 

Sometimes it's coyotes.

 Sometimes it's locusts.

I could go on and on with sounds you hear in the country.
 Tonight it's the  pop, pop, pop of the pumper. - 

The oil well pumper.

They are all around. - Oh, none are really close. - just close enough. 





Normally, I would just turn over, ignore it and go to sleep but tonight this morning, I am chuckling, thinking of an earlier conversation today.

Me: Dad, would you and mom consider moving into my house on the highway?  

Dad: No. Not interested.

Me: I just thought it would make things easier - with everything on one level and the hard wood floors - which would be easier for a walker or wheel chair.

Dad: No, I don't think we would be able to get used to the noise on the highway.


: )



No comments:

Post a Comment