Sunday, January 6, 2013

Photo Challenge - Day 6

Day 6: childhood memory

I'm a farm girl. I was an only child until I was 12 years old. I spent my summers playing with my Aunt Linda. But even then, I really spent most of my time reading. My Aunt would come to my house to spend time with me and she would get so irritated because if I was really  interested in a book - I would just shut out all around me and read!

My mom read to me as a young child.

 "Mr. Wiggs Birthday Party"
A Story from Mary Poppins
This book has my name with the year Mom gave it to me. 
1956
I was 3 years old.

 "Ben and Me"
This book has my name in it but not the year.
I really think I've had it as long as the other one.
I Loved these two Golden books.
- and still do. 

 This is an old book Mom would read out of once in awhile.
I had favorite stories - 
"William and Jane" by Dorothy Aldis
"The Wind and the Sun" An Aesop Fable
"Elizabeth - The Cow Ghost" by William Pene Du Bois
"The Fish With the Deep Sea Smile" by Margaret Wise Brown
"The Emperor's New Clothes" Adapted from Hans Christian Anderson

I loved being read to!
And I loved to read. 



When I was old enough to read myself, this copy of "Little Women" and
 a copy of "Gone With the Wind" were books I read every summer.

Reading has always been a very important part of my life.


2 comments:

  1. Brenda, I'm pretty sure I read more now than I did as a child. Although, I still have my copies of Beloved Belindy and Charlotte's Web. Currently I have a required reading list of adoption books. At FCS I just bought The Prayer That Changes Everything and Unglued. I think One Thousand Gifts will always be my favorite. I showed it to a woman today while I was at work. She's struggled with depression for 20 years. I'm praying she'll come back in and buy a copy. You and I both know the joy of counting gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Tobi. I'll pray she returns. I believe counting gifts can be a real answer to depression. I've sent one to someone special for a birthday gift. But she hasn't gotten it yet! :) Do you find required reading is harder to accomplish than reading for pleasure?

      Delete