Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wednesday Wisdom

"Don't join the book burners. Don't think you are going to conceal thoughts by concealing evidence that they ever existed. Don't be afraid to go into your library and read every book"
Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech at Dartmouth College, June 14, 1953 


I am always surprised when I hear people say they refuse to read a book because of it's politics, religious views,  the language used, or some reason other than it's just not an interesting book. Now, I have put a book down because I was bored with it, or it was a subject I'm not interested in, or for just bad writing but to put it down because I don't agree with the author is not something I would do. We are never challenged  if we only read things we agree with.
 
Reading a book I don't agree with doesn't make me "one of them" but may help me understand where they are coming from.
 

Now, after saying all that, I will say there are some types of books I don't like, but not because of their views, I just don't like those types of books. I don't like scary books at all. I used to read only self help books, now I seldom read self help books. I like political books that talk about the lives of the politicians, I don't like books that are about politics. 

I will also add here that reading "books" and not reading the Bible is a dangerous habit. I would like to say that for every hour I read a book, I spend the same amount of time reading the Bible. But I fall short on this. - However, it is a good rule of thumb.

I like reading for fun and entertainment right now. - I say right now, because I have a tendency to switch from one genre to another. 


Tell me about your reading habits. What do you like to read? Leave a comment and let me know what you're reading, and if you agree or disagree with Eisenhower.
 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could read all the books in my library. I like mysteries, biographies and historical novels. I agree about reading the Bible.

    ReplyDelete