Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Meal 9 - Slow Cooker Cooking



This recipe came from allrecipes.com again. I use that site a lot. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should.

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
1lb shredded, cooked chicken (rotisserie will work for this) 
1 15oz can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 10oz can enchilada sauce
1 med onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 14.5oz can chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 10oz package frozen corn
1 TBSP chopped cilantro
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker.  Pour in water and chicken broth and season with cumin, chili powder, salt bepper, and bay leaf.  Stir in corn and cilantro.  Cover, and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours or on high setting for 3-4 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.

4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.



I didn't get to this until after lunch so I was in a hurry. I didn't have cooked chicken but had a small amount of frozen fajita chicken and some frozen chicken breasts. I through all of that in - approximately 1 lb. - The large pieces I pulled out before serving and chopped up. - this worked well because I chopped up 1 piece per bowl.
I didn't add the green chili's because I didn't have any.

Everything else, I followed the recipe. HOWEVER - I only had flour tortilla's. I burned them.... :)  

So- I served with tortilla chips and we also put a bit of sour cream into our bowls.

This was VERY tasty! Lot's of liquid, though.

Randy gave it a 5.
I gave it a 5.
Andru a 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment