Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Thoughts From the Sermon Series “The Beatitudes” (4)

The Beatitudes Matthew 5  3-12 (1)

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.”

I’ve never been really hungry. I used to fast on a regular basis and spend time in prayer and Bible study (notice I said used to…) This beatitude  really convicted me. Why did I stop? No idea…. I just did. -

Anyway, I’ve never been really hungry. And when I did fast, I only fasted from food, never from water. So I've never been really thirsty. When I would drive the combine for my Dad I would always have a water jug with me. So when the heat and dust would cause thirst, I would pause and drink.

So to really understand “hunger and thirst for righteousness” I don’t - if I’m identifying “hunger and thirst” with food and water.

However, I do understand  “yearning.” The thesaurus lists the synonyms of yearning as:

longing
craving
desire
want
wish
hankering
urge
hunger
thirst
appetite
ache

This yearning I understand. I can wrap my mind around “yearning” and then  put a perspective on “hunger” on “thirsting.”


Sometimes I have a yearning to read my Bible. Such a strong pull towards God’s Word. I really feel a NEED to pick up my Bible and read.  I know when this yearning appears that I should stop what I’m doing and read my Bible.  Duh. This is not rocket science…

But do I always do it? No. “I’ll do it later” is a very common thought for this procrastinator.  God is speaking to me at a particular time and I’m ignoring Him.

Righteousness.  The synonyms of righteousness are:

decent
ethical
honest
honorable
just
moral
right
nice
good
true
right-minded
virtuous

These words could describe many people that you and I know – but it is pairing these characteristics with Christ that creates righteousness.


Righteousness is putting God first in our lives, having no other “god’s” “idols” before us.

What do I have in my life that I put before God? Oh, man, again – a convicting thought.

My family, my interests, my church, my friends, my blogging, – what do I spend more time on than Christ? How much time do I spend reading His Word, praying, doing what He needs me to do for His Kingdom…..

We I spend more time on so many things than I do on the thoughts of Christ.

To be filled, to be satisfied, I must be holy. I need to strive for righteousness. I need to let go of ME and yearn for Christ.

“Blessed is the man that hungers and thirsts for righteousness for they will be satisfied.”


Thank you, PM.
(PB was gone this week, Family Minister Matt filled in.)

(these are my thoughts concerning this passage of Scripture and not all are from PM)

No comments:

Post a Comment