Tuesday, February 25, 2014

My Thoughts From the Sermon Series “The Beatitudes” (2)

The Beatitudes Matthew 5  3-12 (2)
“Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.”

Blessed is more than “happy.” PB in this series says “Oh, for the Bliss…. “ – utter joy and contentment. Being satisfied.

Happy is an emotion that comes from outside stimulation. Joy is an emotion that comes from the inside. My relationship with God gives me joy.

“Happy are the sad” says there is a state of bliss that comes with a heart that is broken. Not broken for a death but broken for the suffering that goes on around me – and broken for my sins.

It’s so easy for me to say “Forgive me for having a rude thought about someone,” or “forgive me for overeating,” words are often easy. But to actually MOURN for these sins that are inside of me. That is an effort that I often don’t want to take the time to commit to.

It’s making my sins personal and realizing that each time I think that thought or chose to overeat (these are just examples of some of my sins) – I – Me – I  am the one hitting that nail in His hand one more time with a hammer that I HOLD.

My sin is mine. I must take responsibility for it. I must mourn from deep within my soul for my sin. Confess, ask for forgiveness and TURN FROM IT.

Repentance.

That is the key, you know. Turning from it. Making a change.

A continual living in sin is pounding the nails. It is causing the pain. I must commit to make the change.

Thank you PB.


(remember, these are my thoughts concerning this passage of Scripture and not all are from PB)



No comments:

Post a Comment