Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My Thoughts From the Sermon Series “The Beatitudes” (3)

The Beatitudes Matthew 5  3-12 (3)
“Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.”

When did our world begin equating meekness with weakness? Even the dictionary describes this word as a form of weakness. But to go back to the Greek, Meekness in this passage of scripture does not mean weakness.

“Blessed is the man who is always angry at the right time and never angry at the wrong time.”  It is self control – guided by Jesus.  It is being even tempered.

Meekness comes from an unshakable confidence in God.

“Blessed is the man who has every instinct, every impulse, every passion under control. Blessed is the man who is entirely self-controlled.” Self controlled with e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e.

Meekness is true humility that has no room for pride.

humility = teachable

Sometimes when I believe I’m being self controlled, I’m actually just being apathetic. Oh, my, I have so much work to do in my life. (I will be writing more on apathy when we get to mercy.)

An unshakable confidence in God. Self control. Humility. WOW.  PB really stepped on my toes in this one.

Just when I think “I’ve got it” I realize I’m being prideful and God points out all the things I need to improve on.

Jesus showed Righteous anger himself. Anger in itself is not a sin, not a lack of self control. A selfish anger is sin. Selfless anger is not sin. Righteous anger – an anger with the sin we see in the world is not a sin.  Letting God control that anger within us is what makes the difference.

Being on my knees – that’s the best way to become meek.


Thank you, PB.

(remember, these are my thoughts concerning this passage of Scripture and not all are from PB)

No comments:

Post a Comment