Monday, July 2, 2012

Things to do in Wichita! 3






Things to do in Wichita!
Botanica Wichita




My favorite place to visit! The Botanica Wichita Gardens. Randy first brought me here while we were dating and of all the fun things we've done in Wichita, this is my very favorite. I always feel so at home here, so relaxed and I could spend hours wondering the beautiful fragrant grounds. In fact I have so many pictures, I'm not sure how I will choose which ones to post on here.

You can check out their web site HERE. 


" Never Too Big"




 (so sorry, I didn't get the title of this one)




Besides wandering around enjoying this magnificent place, they offer summer programs for children, volunteer opportunities, lunchtime lectures - which we have enjoyed, there are also Birding days - just too many things for me to mention here - and one of our favorites "Tuesday's on the Terrace." Each Tuesday night, the Garden mixes things up with live music, happy hour and horticulture. - It's 5:30 til 7:30. 

There is also a wonderful Butterfly House.






Christmas at Botanica is a wonderland. It is a beautiful exhibition of lights, music, and Christmas Cheer.



 Our friends Ron and Gale.




My Christmas pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the season, they have lights with synchronized music. It's a winter wonderland.

Their most recent addition is the Downing Children's Garden. It is amazing. So much for the kids to do. Be sure and check out the web site for more information.

Each month they exhibit Art in the building. June was Wichita Women's Artists. July is Wichita Needle Arts Guild and August is Lena Hamilton Photography.


A small sample of the Art they are exhibiting this month.


"Botanica, The Wichita Gardens was opened to the public in 1987 to generate enthusiasm for horticulture and enlighten people through educational, artistic, and cultural experiences. With this mission, Botanica’s gardens and programs expand public awareness of horticulture, educate Kansans about how nature can improve their daily lives, and assist in the promotion of community development."

"Since its opening with four gardens and a horticultural library, Botanica has added 20 additional themed gardens and exhibits. This botanical paradise on the plains comprises over nine acres of stunning gardenscaping that features over 3600 species of plants both native and new to the region. All gardens are designed to emphasize collections in display settings that feature plants particularly well-suited to south-central Kansas. In addition to the display gardens, an evaluation garden has been added for the specific purpose of introducing and evaluating plants that may be suited to the region. The Gardens are decorated with a collection of 20 elegant sculptures, flowing streams, fountains, and waterfalls that complement the beauty of plants and that create a visually stunning atmosphere."


I love the Botanica so much and when I got ready to write this blog I realized I really don't have words or even pictures to describe the beauty and the serenity that I find in these beautiful gardens. From a blog I wrote in December of 2010:
"One of my favorite places to go to with Randy is Botanica - The Wichita Gardens. We've been there several times in several seasons and it has been through these trips that I've learned I don't have a favorite flower - I LOVE them all. Walking through the gardens with Randy, stopping to smell, to admire the different artwork of God is one of my favorite things."

 I hope you will take the time to visit Botanica the Wichita Gardens.

701 Amidon Wichita, KS

Hours and Admission

The Gardens are open 9am-5pm, Monday-Saturday, year-round.
Extended, seasonal hours from April-October: 
  • Open Sundays 1-5pm 
  • Tuesday & Thursday nights until 8pm
The Gardens and offices are closed on most major holidays. 

Admission

  • Members - FREE
  • Seniors (62+)/Military - $6
  • Adults (13-61) - $7
  • Youth (3-12) - $5
  • Children 2 & Under- FREE
Group admission rates are available for groups of 10 or more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment