Friday, November 22, 2013

Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays

 
It’s that time of year again. The ongoing war of -

“Merry Christmas”   “Happy Holidays” 
“Season’s Greetings” 

20121128_103237

This conflict alone can take the “Merry” out of everything.

Let me preface what I’m about to say with this:


I am a Christian. I believe the ONLY reason we have Christmas is because God sent His only Son to earth as a baby – born of a virgin. And as cliché as it may sound – He really is the ONLY reason for the season.

NO ONE can take Jesus out of my season – except me. No matter what you say to me – He is my reason for celebrating. 

That said, let me add, I believe the people who complain about this greeting – either way are only stirring up a dissension that we ought not have.

I’ve worked in retail. I worked in fast retail in the 1970’s and by fast I mean in the grocery check out line. I had only a few seconds to give a greeting. Often it was “Happy Holidays”  - not because I was trying to remove Jesus from the season but because I didn’t have time to say “Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.” I didn’t even have time to say “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.” But I did have time to say “Happy Holidays.”

And interestingly, in the ‘70”s I never heard of anyone being offended by that greeting. When I did say “Merry Christmas” it never offended anyone either. 

Political Correctness is a big joke.

Personally, I appreciate any greeting and always smile and return a greeting. Now that I have more time to greet, I will often say the extended version. 
I think it’s silly – ridiculous  – disturbing – that a.n.y.o.n.e. get upset with me because I say “Merry Christmas.”  But I also believe the same when  others  get upset when the greeting is  “Happy Holidays.”

Good grief people… Let’s grow up.  I believe what I believe.  You believe what you believe.  I will greet how I want – you greet how you want.

BUT if I work for you or if you are my government – or anyone for that matter -  Don’t tell me how to greet people.  PLEASE LEAVE MY GREETING ALONE.

You respect me and I will respect you.

It’s tough to respect anyone who tries to tell me how to believe and how to respond to others. – Let alone greet them with a smile!
























1 comment: