Monday, June 19, 2017

Honk if you’re Happy!!

 This blog was written in March 2017, but for some reason I never published it. Here it is - a little late but still sincere.


1000 gifts book
I started this book in January. It’s moved me almost every day. Ann Voskamp is a real person who feels real life – like I do. – But this isn’t a book review.

Today her topic was “Honk if you’re Happy.” She had read a story about a man who put this sign up on the highway by his house when his wife was ill. In reading the story I discovered his sign cheered those who honked and his wife when she would hear the honks. Our actions matter. Our words matter. 

Let me tell you my story of simple words, simple actions that have had a very grateful effect.

Two years ago this month, Randy needed a heart stint. A very routine procedure and we had the “best” cardiologist in the state!

We were planning the estate sales we were going to once this was over!! The procedure was just a hiccup in a smooth week of Antique Mall business!

When the very nice nurse was wheeling him into surgery I said to her, “Take good care of him – he is the love of my life!” And he gave me that ornery grin he had as I kissed him on the forehead.

Well, he didn’t make it. This simple procedure turned into the most devastating day of my life.

BUT I cannot explain to you the comfort I’ve had over these past two years when I recall those last moments we had. He went into the surgery with a smile and knowing that I loved him - That he really was the love of my life.

So, no matter how simple an action may be – a honk on the roadside, a kiss on the forehead – remember it really does matter.









No comments:

Post a Comment