Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Healthy Eating


I am trying to improve my eating habits…  Oh, my, this is a struggle. You know I love mashed potatoes, gravy, fried chicken, – all those comfort foods.

I’m trying to do better. I got a book from the Mayo Clinic on “heart healthy” eating. I’ve been following most of their guidelines. So far the husband and I have been very pleased with the taste of the recipes and with the amounts we are eating.

Yesterday for lunch we had turkey wraps which included whole wheat tortilla, 3 oz of smoked turkey breast, lettuce, tomato, onion and salsa. At first we were reluctant to add the salsa, it seemed out of place with the other items on this wrap but we did and we LOVED them. We also had a tomato and cucumber salad with fat free Italian dressing. And of course fruit. The Mayo Clinic adds a piece of fruit to every meal.

Since it’s January in the Midwest, good fruit is not always in abundance. Instead of a large variety we are just buying the fruit that is good and having it more than once or twice a day.

For dinner we had 3 oz flank steak, a half of a baked potato, vegetable, and fruit. We were even able to have 2 tablespoons of light sour cream on our potato.

I have never fixed flank steak. The Mayo Clinic said to marinate it with the same Italian Dressing – which we did and it was delicious. And I broiled it. However, when I looked Flank Steak up on google (for recipes) I found many different marinades and a few of them even looked low cal but did have more salt. i.e. – soy sauce. – and it seems the preferred way of cooking is to grill. – Which we are going to do next time.

Today for lunch, I’m using the leftover Flank Steak  in a salad.


My goal here is not to “diet” but to change our eating habits. – To replace my style of cooking to a more healthy style. That’s one reason I was so excited to try a few new things and discover they are easy to make and they taste good. That’s the purpose of this “project!” Ease and good!


So, to those of you who already are healthy eaters – can you share some recipes with me?  Would love to accumulate many healthy meal ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment