Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Kansas Underground Salt Museum

Keaton, me and Andru at the Kansas Underground Salt Museum 






We visited the Kansas Underground Salt Museum today. It was a great outing. It takes about 2 hours - 650 feet underground!  I've been in many caves on vacations throughout my life and I'm not really a "cave" fan so wasn't really too excited about this but once I got there I was more than pleasantly surprised and I really enjoyed it. It was nothing like the caves I've been in. No dampness, no musty odor and lots of space so you don't ever feel closed in.

Here is the website for more information on one of the 8th wonders of Kansas!!

Keaton and Andru reading up on the mine.   

Taking one of the train rides in the cave.
We had to wear helmets. - 
OOPS, Randy just pointed out to me they are Hard Hats!!

Picking out a piece of salt to bring home.
My miner!



I enjoyed seeing how the miners work in this salt mine but the most fascinating to me was the underground vaults and storage that are in this mine to store important documents, movies and things you would never imagine.   http://www.undergroundvaults.com/

There is a great underground museum.  Learned that anything that goes down in the mine, stays in the mine. We saw an area with "trash" from 1953 that had been left there. Do you remember the cone cups that we used to get a drink of water in the '50's and '60's? Hundreds of those in this trash area.

I asked Andru to describe the salt mines he said "cool" and "awesome". He liked the train ride and the dark ride the best. 

Randy loves history and so he appreciated the history of the salt mine, the history of salt and the three main salt companies.

Keaton's gone home so I can't ask him what his favorite part was.  :)

We finished the day eating a DELICIOUS meal in Yoder at Carriage Crossing. 
The best strawberry pie I have ever had!!

No comments:

Post a Comment