Saturday, January 7, 2017

I Challenge You This Year


This may be one of the most important posts I have ever written.

“Prayer does not equip us for greater works,
Prayer is the greater work.”
Oswald Chambers 
My Utmost for His Highest


Every Saturday evening I try to post this on face book and twitter:

pray for your pastor
 From Precept Ministries

So many of my friends are in the ministry, married to a minister or at least attend a church. I ache for those in ministry as I often read about sin taking over their lives. I’ve been there. I’ve lived that. It’s devastating and in hindsight, I wish I would have asked more people to pray for me. For us.

So as we begin a new year, I challenge you, dear reader, to take time each week – I’m not even asking that you do this daily – but if you think of it - that would be good, too. But weekly - pray for your Pastor and his family. (I’m going old school with my grammar here and “his” is generic for his/her.) (Please, don’t criticize my use of “his.”)

Each time you think of someone in ministry just shoot up a special prayer.

These are the people we depend on for so much – then when they show us their human side – we turn on them so quickly.

I don’t now and never have believed we should put those in ministry on a pedestal. We should never judge them – but hold them accountable in love just as we would one another.

I don’t expect more from my Pastor’s than I do from myself in my Christian walk. Do you? Are you expecting this human with flesh and bones to be more than you are or are willing to become?  Give them more understanding. Give them more of your encouragement. And Prayer. Say more prayers for them. Because not everyone treats them as if they are human. Many expect them to be more.

More spiritual. More pure. More perfect.

They are men called by God. But still in their human bodies making human decisions with the help of God. Just like you and I.

We are a critical people. It’s so easy to pick on that person speaking from the pulpit. It’s so easy to be critical of the one leading our youth - Leading our children. 

So my challenge is for you to pray for our Ministers – our Pastors. Write it on your calendar if you have a hard time remembering them. Write them on your prayer request list if you have one

JUST REMEMBER
 pray for your pastor and family.





1 comment:

  1. So true and I feel we tend to put them up on a pedastal. They should know better, yep we think that. I do pray my pastor and family and really all the staff and my deacons. Thanks for the reminder.
    :)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete