Wednesday, February 29, 2012

WEDNESDAY WISDOM


Have you ever said (heard):

"God willing and the Creek don't rise"

Did you know this saying was in reference to the Creek Indians and not a body of water?  It was written by Benjamin Hawkins in the late 18th century. He was a politician and Indian diplomat. While in the south, Hawkins was requested by the President of the U.S. to return to Washington. In his response, he was said to write, "God willing and the Creek don't rise." Because he capitalized the word "Creek" it is deduced that he was referring to the Creek Indian Tribe and not a body of water. 

I remember my Grandma Elsie saying this and I catch myself saying it every once in a while!

So a bit of Historical Wisdom for my readers!!

My friend, Jean Ann sent me an email with Historical Trivia. I love trivia and thought much of it is fun to know so decided to use these for some of my Wednesday Wisdom posts.


1 comment:

  1. Who Knew?? Cool.....I guess it works either way doesn't it? At my house it is definitely the creek because I can be trapped here rather quickly when the big rains come.

    ReplyDelete