Monday, March 10, 2014

My Creative Gene Kicked In

I’ve been feeling creative. The whole media art phase was an epic fail. – I have no talent in that area of the arts. I can sew, however, so when the “creative” bug hit me – I organized the painting paraphernalia on shelves and pulled out the sewing stuff.

We are always on the lookout for place mats for our table. So I decided to make some that (hopefully) will be washable and very usable.

On Valentine’s Day, the husband and I headed to Material Girls Quilt Shoppe armed with these pictures on my phone:


20121213_212800

mantle (2)

I wanted to coordinate the colors of these flowers as much as possible.


First of all – let me say, I had never been to Material Girls and can honestly say I truly enjoyed my shopping experience while there.  If any of you shop the way I do, you will understand.

The first thing I do in a fabric store is walk completely through the store and look at all their fabric and the way they have the fabrics displayed, then once I have a good feel for the place, I begin picking and choosing my fabrics.

Besides the pictures above, I was also armed with the book that I had chosen a pattern out of. – sort of. I combined 2 patterns and tweaked them to what I wanted.

I used this book:

DSCN6006

and combined these patterns:

DSCN6008          DSCN6010

It was good to be back in the sewing room.

Placemats (3)          Placemats (1)

Placemats (7)          Placemats (4)

Placemats (10)          place mats (1)
I made 4 of these.


and 4 of these:
place mats (2)


I’m pleased with the way they turned out and like the way they fit into my kitchen color scheme.


Placemats (12)


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I'm glad you're sewing again. You are very good at it. I can't seem to get the bug lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun. For me it comes and goes. I haven't sewn in over a year and all of a sudden I have "tons" of ideas. I'm making a quilt for the oldest granddaughter for her birthday right now. It's been a fun one. I'll post pictures AFTER her birthday! Miss you.

      Delete
  2. First of all, I love the wall flowers, they look so pretty! The place mats are beautiful! A job well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are my favorite decorations in my kitchen! Thank you! I had fun making the place mats. Hope all is well with you and you are back home safely. You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete