Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall Planting

Part of our new flower bed.
Randy and I planted 257 bulbs last week. I can't wait for spring!! We planted daffodils, grape hyacinth, iris and tiger lilies. 

Daffodils are Randy's favorite flowers. We planted 100 of those. We also went to Botanica, The Wichita Gardens for a class on raising daffodils. We decided the speaker made it much too complicated so we just planted ours like the majority of people do.

Then, the grape hyacinths, I just like the look of the purple flowers with the yellow daffodils. 

My grandma always had tiger lilies and I liked them. She always had iris, too, but I never liked them. Don't know why, just didn't. UNTIL -
I read a series of books! What you would call "cozies". Mysteries that aren't scarey. - The good guys (or gals) always win and no one thinks a thing of these "sweet" little towns having so many murders!!! Yeah, you know what I'm talking about!!

Anyway, the Iris House Bed and Breakfast books by Jean Hager - an Oklahoma author! You can read an interview with Jean Hager HERE.  After reading these books, I became fascinated with Iris. And as she says in her interview, the description of the Iris House B & B is so perfect, I can picture it in my mind. It's hard for me to believe I haven't been there!

 I took the pictures at the wrong time of day for good lighting, but this is the rest of the bed. We also planted bulbs on the outside of the fence so they can be seen from the street across from the pond come spring.


A side note about the cross in the yard - it's a yard ornament but several of Andru's friends have asked me if someone is buried there!!!! Sounds like a great place for a halloween party!!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, this post made me giddy with happiness! Those cheery blooms will bring so much joy to everyone who sees them next spring. There you go again, spreading kindness around like birdseed. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete