Monday, March 8, 2010

Little Golden Books

One of my collections includes "Little Golden Books." My favorite "Ben and Me" with my name inside was published in 1954. My first history lesson! It's about Benjamin Franklin and the story is told by a mouse named Amos that lived with Ben. I still believe that Amos is the one who created bifocals!
     Then my second favorite is "Mr. Wiggs Birthday Party" a story from Mary Poppins. This one also has my name in it and it was published in 1952.
     When I first became a "serious" :) collector of books it was these two that got me interested in Little Golden Books. So now I keep my eyes open for great finds. I love it when the book has a name inside because that shows me it was loved and had a history.
My collection is still small but it includes:

  • Seven Little Postmen  with Carol's name in it. It was published in 1952
  • The Pokey Little Puppy that was given to "Buttons" from Aunt Elsie,           Published in 1942.
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant was published in 1947 and has no name in it.  :(
  • Donny and Marie The Top Secret Project When I saw this one for sale, I just couldn't resist!! It was published in 1977 and was given to Mandy from her Grandpa and Grandma.
  • The Happy Little Whale 1969 edition. No name.
  • Pebbles Flintstone with no name and published in 1963.
  • Mike was the previous owner of Scuffy the Tugboat This was the 8th printing - in 1955. The book was first published in 1946.
  • Mary Poppins A Jolly Holiday published in 1964.
  • Heidi belonged to a Library and was published in 1954.
  • Dr. Dan at the Circus published in 1960
  • Exploring Space was owned by Richard and it was published in 1958.

     Most of these books are in very good shape. I will admit the ones the most worn are my two personal copies!  You can tell I spent hours looking and reading these two books.
     Think of all the children that have enjoyed "Little Golden Books" over the years.

And if you have any stuck away someplace - I would be more than happy to  give them a home with my own collection!!

No comments:

Post a Comment